Sunday, October 21, 2018

Celebrating Allie... October 20th , 2018



I have struggled for a couple of weeks... trying to prepare myself for this emotionally charged day in October... the most difficult day we as a family face together. had (falsely and prematurely believed) that I had reached a level of comfort and acceptance in regards to our loss of this shining star in our Universe. So I returned to my therapy and have begun to renew my vigour and courage. I now... more than ever accept the fact that this struggle will be a lifelong one.

For several days I tried to begin a new painting to assist this passage. None have appeared to date. I played around with thoughts and ideas in my head and then sat down at this keyboard to collect my thoughts in an orderly fashion in a new post... to perhaps support these thoughts with previous painting themes that Allison and I had enjoyed together.

I decided to course through the many cards and gifts from friends that have gathered here n my studio. Some hit the mark... sort of... but I came to a realization when I found these two tributes that I needn't look any further. I would use Allison's own words to share with you rather than my own.

So these are from her when she was valiantly at war with that wretched disease. I hope that you discover a renewed strength and purpose in your own life... as I have ... driven by her wisdom and fearless passage into whatever comes next.




                                                        Allie and Venice... forever one!

Yesterday was her official birthday... Saturday, October 20th. We would have celebrated her39th birthday together, so we decided to gather in Kingston at the ginkgo tree that several of her grad students had planted to honour her life.

These jpegs record that celebration by her family and friends in the Kingston area.



                                                    Mom and Dad... till her biggest fans.


Dawn, Allie's secretary and friend at Queen's... Mom... Deb and Andale McTavish, wife of Allies'                                                                            Grad supervisor


                                                     Happy 39th Birthday Sweet Heart!



No celebration would be complete ... without Allie's beloved lifetime friend, Winnie the Pooh in attendance

Throughout most of my adult life I falsely believed that parents were given the responsibility to "educate" their children. As a teacher, I continued to foster that belief. It is only through my journey with Allie... even in its darkest moments that I have come to realize how very wrong and misled I had been.

Allison was "an old spirit"... all of us who knew her and came to know her and love her and to understand the depth of her gift as a friend and mentor. She possessed that very rare ability to accomplish  and maintain both. 

The breadth of her knowledge... even at a very young age was something that attracted all ages to her. It was her karma to carry and share that gift of love and knowledge throughout a very short lifetime...  measured in years. But I will share this quote that she embraced from the Sufi mystic, Rumi. I feel it is a good place to stop and to wish all of you ... Happy Fall and rich Blessings from the Sherman Family.

" I learned that every mortal will taste death.But only some will taste life."
                                                                                      - Rumi

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce,
    It's good to see Allie's tree growing straight and tall. You must take comfort from the fact that she certainly did 'taste life'.

    Thinking of you,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Keith... Thank you ever so much for continuing to support us in our journey to keep Allie's gifts and inheritance forwarded to each of us visibly active and present.

    She "most certainly did taste life"... to its fullest and shared it so generously with everyone around her.

    I am doing my best to follow her footsteps as she asked us to do in her stead. I must admit ... that on many days that is a tall order. It try to keep her wonderfully unselfish and wise mantra as my guiding force daily:

    "Choose love"... and she did. Thanks for your caring presence and support Keith. I truly value it... beyond what words can express.

    Good painting... and rich Blessings!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Bruce. Going to see if blogger will let me leave any message today - it's kept me from posting on many of my blogger friends' sites for over a week :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda ....No matter what "Blogger" does to "short circuit" our connections. Each of us feels the presence of other Blogger family members regardless>

    Thank you for your presence and kind comments>

    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete