Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Outdoor Adventure at Bark Lake - Part One






















I returned from my weekend sojourn spent partly in the company of twenty-nine painting friends from the East Central Ontario Association of Artists... a group that I've had the privilege to share time with for over thirty years. We meet regularly in various locations to share our passion for outdoor... yes... plein air painting in all seasons. Algonquin Park, Geneva Park in Orillia and Bark Lake have the necessary facilities and wilderness space to accomodate our lodging, meals and painting needs for the thee to four day events. Each location also has large studio spaces to acccomodate both watercolour and oil painting spaces. As well... each has a main area with fireplace and comfy furniture to meet in the evening for social get togethers and music. In simple terms... we are an extended family who happen to share a passion for art ... made in the outdoors!

This year I was honoured to be asked to conduct a demo on the Friday evening... and to deliver a "friendly" critique of one piece chosen by each artist immediately after the Saturday evening meal. I felt somewhat intrepid about both activities... mainly because some of these artists certainly were beyond criticism from my humble position... but more importantly, because I choose to work mostly alone as of late... and never did look for opinion to really guide my painting process. Painting is such a personal act... perhaps the only part of my life which is not subject to the ideas of others.

I decided to create an exercise for the demo which focused on my firm belief... that even when outdoors painting... one must not be coerced into simply "following the plow"... and copying what is in front of you. "You" are the Creator... in charge... free to interpret and make of what is in front of you in your own unique way... both in choice of colour... design... even season... if you dare to go way out on a limb.

I chose a sample of what "I" refer to in my landscape work as my "Intuitive" genre/style. In this method... I create flourish and rhythm in the landscape... colour that isn't necessarily there to create my very own landscape. I chose an autumn sample as my reference for the demo... stating from the beginning that my goal was to make use of the basic structure of the fall piece to create a unique winter version. I chose a vertical canvas 24x18 (larger than most work outdoors on)... and painted with a black acrylic ground.

I promised to paint as I do... quickly and with a bravura that is driven by rapidly changing light... and extremely cold temperatures. The highest for the weekend was -6C... and on two days the temperature was well below -20C for the entire day. Speed is essential to "getting things down"... choosing the essentials and making rapid decisions re: tone and value. In these temperatures, I usually allow n0 more than an hour per painting... anything beyond that can be filled in later in the studio... or when you return to the same location... warmed and ready to work comfortably.

It should be noted that while the demo borrows strongly from the basic design in the other two versions... my treatment and certain elements change or are replaced at will to create a new version. I can... and often do change the season right on location... just to keep me away from simply copying the scene. In this way... there is complete freedom to create. I'd rather a blank sheet than a colouring book... always have.... even as a child. Guess I'll never really grow up! HAHA!!

I completed the demo piece... as you see it here in the jpeg posted... in just over an hour. In my own mind it was "unfinished"... and I wanted to bring it home. But the group begged me to go no further... they loved the loose ... painterly quality as it stood. Four people wanted to purchase it... one lady in particular was really taken by it... so I signed off... my signature and she took the piece home with her.

I had completed one 10x12 panel earlier on the Friday on my scouting trip prior to my arrival at the Centre... just to warm up. I managed to complete a total of six paintings... all done outdoors over the weekend. There were subjects everywhere one looked... and when the grey skies on Friday gave way to sunny blue sky for the remainder of the weekend... I was in my element and really got my fix for sure! I returned home... pumped to get on with my work... energized by my painting and by my contact with kindred spirits!

I will post the other five paintings in Part Two... towards the weekend... for your enjoyment and interest. WE have another storm in the area and another foot of snow on the ground already... and more predicted to be on the way! Let it snow!...Let it snow!... But don't tell Deb! She hates the cold!




Good Painting to All

14 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce,

    Here I thought you were exhausted from your previous endeavor. Pictured you on the couch watching tv.

    How wonderful for you to have enjoyed fellow artist sharing the same love of plein air painting. Your work once again is amazing.
    Thank you for sharing, and I will be looking forward to you next post.

    All the best to you
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan!... Not a better way to deal with "studio" exhaustion... than to get "out there" on location and paint!

    Add to that the high octane additive of being with kindred spirits... good food and sharing of ideas... and exhaustion just... magically disappears!

    Thanks for your always kind and encouraging compliments... and your regular visits to my site!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce,

    Nice work. I like all of them, for the boldness of the painting and the beautiful colours.

    all the best,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith!.... Thanks for dropping by and for your encouraging comments!

    "Boldness of the painting and the beautiful colours"... a really special compliment from one whose work I deeply admire for the very same reasons! Thank "You"!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous Bruce, and I must say that I love your philosophy. I never ask for critique either. I might actually get it! 'Course, if I painted like you do that wouldn't be an issue anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful snowscene Bruce is that the one the lady bought? is that one hour's work? As I read about how you view your work and that of others I see in you a very confident painter. I believe your many hours and years of painting have brought you to a quiet place where you enjoy working on your own creating your landscape paintings. I don't know how long you have been actively painting in a concentrated way without breaks as in a day job coming in but I believe confidence comes from what we know and understand. You spoke about painting many trees in the past and getting to know them, I can see that in your paintings a knowledge that 'that is a tree' and the kind of tree it is too. YOu know how snow lies on the land and about colour too. You work fast to get down as much information as possible and I believe working like this fills you with inspiration and energy. You are right each artist has their own way to find and is it right to make comments on another person's work? yes if they seek it and we can always find something positive to say to help keep the painting spirit alive within the painter. I think that sometimes a critique can help another artist to move forward yet it can also remove inspiration too if it is negative. What would you say to an artist who cannot mix colour or draw a tree correctly? I know an artist who paints with very artifical colours and it doesn't look right to me yet to this artist each day is an adventure with paint a real life force of inspiration! Why do we seek another to give approval could it be that learning to paint is a passion that has taken so many artists over, each day they wake up and believe they will learn something new on the canvas. Yet I also have to say that I see hundreds of paintings that look exactly the same with little improvement yet the artist feels they are growing. I believe their inner world is an exciting place to be and the yearning for improvement drives them on. Yet I do wonder if we reach our limits that we cannot improve and this is why I do see many paintings and drawings that show little improvement in technical ability. What are your thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Autumn!... Thank "You" for dropping by and for leaving your own thoughts about the post!

    Critiques... or critical comment are ALWAYS to be welcomed Sherry! It is these insights from beyond our own vision which allow us insight into possible new directions we might investigate.

    But as with all things in life... one must examine motives... principles we choose to work and live under... and not become dependent upon criticism or glowing accounts to get in the way of our own ability and right to make our own decisions.

    Just my thoughts!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Highland Lass!.... WOW! What a wonderfully thought out response to this post!

    It is very obvious that we share very similar ideas about process and self-evaluation of our work and the working process of others!

    I had responded with a lengthy comment back.... but... either my not-so-nimble fingers... or the Blog Spirit... eradicated it during the publishing process! YUK!

    I responded in such a lengthy manner simply because your comment... very strangely pre-empted almost exactly the body of my next post. So rather than dither on with the same ideas here... I will make mention of your comment... and base most of the content upon the issues and ideas that you raised! Hope that's fair! Thanks for the great comment. I think others might benefit greatly from what "We" share!

    Until then... Good Painting!
    Warmest regards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! I look forward to the next posting Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi back to Scotland!... Thank "You"... for understanding... and for sending along such an interesting comment regarding critiquing and your interest in my process and method!

    I'll do my best to answer your questions in a straight forward and open fashion!Thanks for tuning in Caroline!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marian!... Thanks for continuing to drop by and... for leaving your always encouraging comments and ideas!

    Hope that your life and work is moving along smoothly.. I'll drop by later today for a "look-see". Until then...
    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I am mesmerized by your "bravura"--I am completely at the other end of the spectrum, all control and detail. I so admire the ability and willingness to go out on a limb the way you do!

    I also appreciate your showing the progression of your work (earlier post). I don't know if you got a chance to look at my Unsupervised and at Large blog--it's where I post my watercolor painting process. I often have little more than a clue as to how I'll proceed when I start a new project, and I suppose that's as out on a limb as I go.

    I'm glad we came across each other--and thanks again for visiting my writing blog. What a boost--probably more than you realize! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi JB!...Welcome to my blog and thank "You"... ever so much for your generous comments!

    Strange... how we artists always seem to admire the other side of the spectrum! Our own method has a lot to do with our personalities... so why row against the tide! HAHA!

    "I" too... am glad that we connected. I DO not surf... just occasionally I find somone amongst my friends... like Todd and slip over for a look-see. I was glad I did so in your case! I've added "You" to my Favourites... so see you soon!Your writing and watercolours give me two good reasons to revisit!

    Giving each other a boost is mutually beneficial!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete