Sunday, November 22, 2009

LARGE.... and LOVING IT








Having tidied up all up all of the outdoor sketches to my satisfaction... I decided to dive headlong into a large scale painting. I wanted a fall subject... and as I skipped through some older sketches, I came across a pair of 20x24 inch canvases that I had always thought would make larger painting subjects down the road.

The interesting discovery or "Idea" here however... was that I would try to incorporate the two into a single subject. This would mean adjusting and eliminating certain parts to make them work as a single composition. That was the challenge right from the onset of the project.Here are the two sketches in isolation... both attractive in their own right... but quite "myopic" in nature.

Start your engines!... Set up the acrylic toned (burnt sienna) 24x48 inch panel on the easel and commence searching out the final composition using willow charcoal. Changes can be made easily with a rag and allow a real freedom in the drawing process. When the final composition is arrived at... I simply "fix" it using a fixative or retouch varnish in aerosol form. It dries rapidly...and... Voila... you are ready to apply paint!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so I'll save a couple of thousand by posting four... in an attempt to [hopefully] relate the changes that occurred during the three painting sessions it took to complete the painting. I was in no hurry to finish... and stopped when I felt the need to just stare at the emerging parts and make decisions to guide the next session. It moved along very easily to its conclusion really.

The top image shows the "tweaking"...."pushing and pulling" of edges... the refining process after the bull work is completed. I think that this exercise and the final product validates my belief that outdoor painting vastly educates one and provides material to push forward in the quiet and comfort of one's studio to create exciting works on a grander scale. It does not diminish the smaller work in any way. They are two very different exercises.

I hope that you enjoyed the post!

Good painting to all!

8 comments:

  1. It looks superb Bruce, as do the two sketches. I just wish my computer screen was 4ft wide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith!....Glad that you liked it! Sometimes... "shaking the tree" provides more "fruit"... and often some of the best fruit lie hidden in the foliage!HAHA!!

    Good Painting my Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I'm loving the large as well...nicely done. We work in a similar manner with your umber under painting. It came out great Bruce..would love to see this in person.
    All the best,
    Todd Bonita

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing short of ....exceptional! You love nature---that shines through.
    Beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank "You"...for stopping by and for your kind comments and observations."I" ...am nothing without Nature!
    Thank "You" Celeste!

    Good Painting!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi back Todd!...As I mentioned before... we share a GREAT many commonalities... not only in painting techniques... but in values as well,I think.

    Perhaps one day...we should get together and paint... either place! We live simply here in the Oro-Medonte region.. but always room for kindred spirits in our home! Let's give that some thought!...Might happen...An "Open" invitation!

    Good painting!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce, This is an exceptional piece that you should be very proud of. Bravo! Working large seems to work for you and I find your paintings to be stunning.

    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog.

    Best,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank "You" Carol... for visiting and for leaving such uplifting and encouraging comments! They mean a lot coming from peers.. whose work one equally admires... and follows!

    Large is... the freedom to paint from the wrist and shoulder... without constraint or worry. Very little need to put the painting together like a puzzle... or a piece of stained glass... piece by piece.

    There is a wonderful release in painting large! One can stay in the "Flow"... and let the Self ....Go!

    Good Painting!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete