Sunday, January 9, 2011

Something Old.... Into Something New















I am busy getting ready for the solo show at AyrSpace Gallery in Ayr , Ontario opening on January 28th. The theme for that show is Painting In Four Seasons... and will feature a combination of plein air sketches and studio paintings that chronicle my impressions of the Ontario landscape... as it passes from season to season.

Each season will occupy a single wall and each wall will contain at least one large painting as a main focus... with other smaller paintings and sketches grouped around the central work to give the flavour of the season.

Painting outdoors in all seasons has always been part of my method dating back to the very beginning of my painting journey. While I enjoy painting in all seasons and in all weather... strange as it may seem... I prefer painting in winter. Winter is a time when light is the most varied... shadows the most beautifully raking and transparent. Colour is pure and objects that are normally overlooked during other parts of the year... stand out starkly against the whites and blues of winter. Even the wind takes a hand in sculpting marvellous snow patterns and deeply enhances movement and light and shadow.

I decided to attempt a major piece for the show that would embrace my joy of all seasons and in particular... my great love and affinity for the northern wilderness aspect of Algonquin Park. I have painted for close to thirty years in the Park and always look forward to my forays at various times to that inspiring painting destination.

One particular part of the Park holds special significance for "Me" because on most of those occasions I have been in the company of a group of fine painting companions... some of whom are no longer with us. This part of the Park centers upon the area around Opeongo Lake Road and Costello Creek. In the last few years, this particular area has become very "homogenized" really... due to the Ministry's efforts to improve the Park and thereby increase tourism and use. Not a bad thing... on the surface. However... on the other side of the coin... this new influx of tourists and the impact they have on the landscape and the wildlife takes away from the original raw wilderness attributes. Increased access... particularly to bus tours in the high seasons makes being in this part of the Park or the Highway 60 corridor through the Park... very difficult to enjoy... either as an artist or a hiker.

I decided to create a challenge for my Self ... to create a single canvas that demonstrated the changes in seasons in this particular place. In other words... one will have the sense of passing from spring through summer and fall... back to winter on that single canvas. Doing that has required a lot of thought and planning... frustration... and uncertainty! Achieving that goal is far from being accomplished... but the task is underway. "The Devil hates a coward!"... the old saying goes!

It began by deciding upon the actual dimensions and format for the painting. I have decided on a painting (on canvas) format that is composed of four equal panels of 36x72 inches. That makes the entire project 12 feet wide x 6 feet tall. ... and believe me... that's a TALL order!!! The painting will be painted on the floor and on box horses because of weight and height factors... and because I hate ladders! I further decided to tone the whole canvas... BLACK. The effect of this toning will make the piece crisp and bright.... much like the recent Birch Copse piece... I hope!

Today's jpegs show my sketch and photo references developed to begin the planning... as well as the scale of the work... the "loose"white chalk line drawing guide to allow the actual painting to commence... and the "concept". Tomorrow... the fun begins! Stay tuned!

Wish "Me" luck!
Good Painting to All!

18 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome! What a great idea! That all sounds like so much fun! I know everybody who comes to the show will love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! is an understatement, but that's all I can say WOW!! Yes of course I wish you luck. Just to watch your process is wonderful. I already like the sketch on the black canvas.

    It's going to be an amazing piece of work. All the best to you and yes I will be looking forward towards your next step.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea, Bruce! Though autumn has always been my favorite season, I know what you mean about the glorious winter season. What are those black squiggly lines on the canvases? Or did I miss something? At any rate this is going to be one gorgeous piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine!... Thanks for your enthusiatic and encouraging comments!

    It has indeed been fun... and challenging to plan and prepare for this rather large project. The next part... lay in ... and the transition between seasons in the actual execution process will be the tough part.

    If successful... it will be the "tour-de-force" for sure for the show. Keep your fingers crossed for me!HAHA!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joan!... Yes... it has the potential to be a "WOW" piece!

    But far more than that... it is an opportunity for "Me" to step off my usual path... throw caution to the wind... to create an "Idea" that "I" have carried along with me for too long now.

    This painting is NOT intended to be merely a "pretty landscape"... though I have painted many. It is my attempt to encourage people to look at the grandness of Creation... in their own part of the world with newer eyes... and in all seasons.

    Each season has its uniqueness and presents opportunities to enjoy the changes ... and to encourage an artist's growth and vision.

    Hope that "I" can meet this challenge... and deliver! Stay tuned Joan.Thank "You" for your constant presence and encouragement.

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Autumn!... How did "I" know that Autumn is your favourite time of the year? HAHA!!

    Each of us does indeed have that season "special" to our hearts and like "You"... "I" do however, also share your love of Autumn for its vibrancy and unparalleled colour!

    "The black squiggly lines" of which you speak... I believe are loosely penned in compositional additions to the "cut n' paste" mockup (bottom jpeg)... that combines previous digital and painted images of the location. This is how I establish scale... and my own "vision" of reality to be contained within the chosen canvas format.This step enables me to fully understand how to begin... and where I will go in the painting process.

    Hope that this satisfies your question - a good one .. by the way! Than "You" for dropping by and for your encouragement. Good to be chatting again!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bruce,

    That looks like a great idea. It should be impressive when it's finished. Good luck with it.

    All the best,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Keith!... Thanks for the encouragement! Hope that I am able to pull it all together.

    Loved your new winter sunset piece!Top drawer in quality!

    Thanks for dropping by!
    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab! what a wonderful idea, very inspiring. I realy lik ethat way you've captured our beautiful prov.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very exciting project bruce
    your enthousiasm will fill those panels in no time,good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Melanie!... Welcome to my blog! Glad that you found it interesting. Hope that you will come back!

    I will check out your site this morning-always anxious to meet new friends... and to see what they're doing... especially ex-patriate Ontarians!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there Rob!... Glad to hear from "You"!

    Thank you ever so much for your enthusiasm and confidence in my project! It's certainly... a BIG 'un!HAHA!! Hope I can pull it off... deadline is two weeks... we'll see how "your plan" comes off!

    If it turns out as well as your Amsterdam gems.... "I" will be... or should be... "a happy camper"! Well done Rob!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great project! I'm amazed and excited for you. You seem full of enthusiasm and i will be back to admire your work. Good luck! Helen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there Helen!... Happy New Year to "You".Hope you had a restful holiday!

    Thanks for dropping by and for adding your encouraging comments and support!

    The painting is now underway.During today... I turned the lights on... or sort of! Still at the preliminary stages... so lots of painting ahead of me. Can tell you that my shoulder is sore tonight ... with all of those unbridled big brushstrokes!

    A canvas like this is so freeing... despite the huge space to be covered... and the large amount of planning to get it going in the first place. The "Idea"... is as large as the canvas!

    But you are so right! I am excited... even more so after today's session!

    Look forward to adding progress reports as I go along... stay tuned!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bruce this is a terrific project of emense size and to bring all the seasons together, you certainly think big! I await the next stage ......

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just fabulous. JUST FABULOUS!!
    I have to say that I love winter even though I'm a snowbird in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there Caroline!... Thanks for your visit and encouragement on this project!

    The size... while it is large... is indeed, at first when you step up to the "wall"... a bit daunting. However it teaches discipline ... palnning... and affords one the freedom and pleasure of large brushwork... painting using the whole body from the shoulder through the elbow to the wrist. It offers such a cathartic relief from the usually fussier and smaller canvases and panel.

    Once into "The Flow"... the regular process simply takes over. I am truly enjoying the project.

    I have had this "Idea" on the back burner for almost twenty years. Time has a very tricky way of "slip-sliding away"... so this is a project... just for my Soul and personal painting satisfaction. Just to figure it all out and make it work... will push the "Idea" out of my head... so that I can find another challenge. Hope that it all works out!

    Stay tuned... I'll add updates as it proceeds!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards.. to the cold Highlands!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there Mary!.... Happy New Year! Good to have you visit again!

    I am really enjoying this project in so many ways... as mentioned in my replies to visitors. The rewards and challenges are a-plenty from an artistic perspective!

    "I" am a fully happy and content "Snowbird"... content to skip joyfully along snowy back roads in search of "nourishment"...HAHA!! My wife on the other hand chides "Me" continually for my enthusiasm... wishing "She"...(meaning WE)... were enjoying winter ... in your fashion!She absolutely hates the cold!

    Thanks for dropping by! Enjoy the warm!

    Good Painting!....'n
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete