Monday, May 3, 2010

The Value of "Imagineering"....and Mentorship at the highest level !



To dare to dream... to think outside the box... to go where others fear to go..."to Imagineer"!...and to be willing to share your "Light"!

My last post discussed the "possibility" that taking risks and facing new challenges could open doors we could never dream of... if only took courage... and "We" listened to our Inner Self... sacrificed... and trusted that the Universe is indeed a vast and limitless realm where ALL dreams can come true!

Today... my second eldest child Allison Morgan successfully defended her PhD (Art History) dissertation at Cambridge University, England! Henceforth... "I" teased... it will be necessary for "Me" to address "Her" as... Dr. Jemima Puddle Duck. All teasing aside... "I" am so VERY proud of her unique achievement and the "Imagineering" that was involved in her eleven year personal pursuit of excellence... and the continous level of scholarship she maintained to self-fund her goal.

From the time when "She" was just five years old and accompanied "Me"... along with her younger brother Andrew (Andyrewster)... on plein air painting forays and "go to shallow waters"... (minnowing and frogging... "She" fiercely maintained that:"She" was going to be an artist when she grew up"! Both she and Andrew are indeed fine artists in their own right.... having painted with me on many, many occasions right into their teens and high school. They shared my dream and journey... but both had their own dreams... and both, I am proud to say... are well on their way to achieving them.

In accomplishing her own dream... "She" brings great honour to her beautiful Self... to her Sherman Family (particularly her Mother who has been her guiding light)... to the memory of her two marvelous and enabling mentors Ms. Ann Stevenson... her Grade Six Teacher and her high school art teacher Berkley Brean. Sadly... neither is here to bear witness to and share this proud and joyful moment with "Her". Their unselfish and unconditional "gifts" of their time and counsel exist... and will be "passed forward"... well beyond their earthly days by the equally capable and committed actions and contributions that Allison will "create".... and "imagineer" to prepare her own charges for the world they must live in.

I take time away from my usual "Art Talk" today... though both are strongly related to share this event in our Family life with my readers. I do so, to acknowledge the importance of the presence of family in the holistic "picture" of a successful and healthy creative journey. I can't imagine any personal degree of Happiness or Success without the mention of the presence and and role that all members of my family... my mentors... my Friends and my peers have contributed to make my life productive,full and meaningful.

"I" would suggest to all of my readers that we must always remember... that the greatest gifts that we leave behind are firstly our children to carry forward in our name and on our behalf. Secondly, we leave our accomplishments in the Arts... whether contributed singularly as individuals...or collectively as a culture. Finally... we leave our own kind acts to encourage Love... Honour... Generosity... Fairness... Loyalty... and above all...TRUTH! These are truly Life's "Masterpieces"!!!

In closing this evening... "I" salute "You"... Doctor Allison Morgan Sherman... aka Jemima Puddle Duck not only for your accomplishments in achieving this milestone Doctoral Degree... but as well "I" laud "You" for your diligence... for your loyalty... intellect... and for your Humanity!

"I" wish "You" fair winds, good health and prosperity... wherever Life and The Universe draws "You". Know that "I" am VERY proud of..."You"... and am with "You" ALWAYS!!

"I" would close by repeating Berkley Breene's last mortal words to his family members:

"I" am deeply blessed!

All my love ALWAYS!
Dad XXXXXOOOOOXXXXX

Postscript: The top jpeg was my gift of a "personaized" side table for Allison's undergraduation from Queen's University, Kingston in October, 2002.

16 comments:

  1. Wow...congratulations to your daughter! A PhD is a real achievement. It sounds like she got a lot of encouragement and a good role model from her Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank "You" Karen!... "I" will pass alon your congrats to Allison! I meant it when "I" said that "I" am truly blessed!

    Contrary to my current situation and good fortunes in life... and my many blessings throughout my journey... my own life has not always run smoothly. It has been thru' the love of my children... my Family and friends that "I" have been able to... "rise again".

    Thanks for your comments... "I" greatly appreciate them!
    Warmest regards!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce,

    First I must congratulate Dr. Allison on her wonderful achievement. Congratulations to you and your wife. I enjoyed reading your heartfelt post and as parents we can all relate to your words. Once again thank you for sharing your world with us. It's a beautiful and refreshing world at that. Enjoy your family and all the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank "You" Joan!...I'll pass along your congrats to Allison!

    Life is about people. While Allison's Mother and I no longer are together, I believe that we again respect each other and share proudly and equally in the success of both Allison and Andrew's achievements. Life is also about learning... it's about adjusting to change... it's about never giving up.. on your Self... or "Others" who need and depend upon "You"!

    I truly hope that by sharing the Truth of my own journey... that it will inspire others to have the courage to "Imagineer"... perservere ... and overcome adversity and failure... to reach out and create new meaning for life.

    It is refreshing.. and encouraging to "Me" to discover that there are many others... like "You"... who continue to embrace similar interests...values and principles to my own!


    In this there is Hope for us all!

    Thanks again for dropping by and for your kind sentiments!

    Happy "Imagineering"... and Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Bruce, speaks volume to you and your wife what your daughter has achieved. I am so happy for her and the incredible milestone she has achieved. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story Bruce, you are truly blessed my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank "You" Jonathan!.... We all revel in Allison's milestone achievement in her young life! The world needs the Allisons... the Andrews... and the Jonathans to "rise again".

    It is so very easy to become cynical as one ages... as younger people and ideas replace the older and traditional.

    "Imagineering" or thinking creatively... is one vital strategy one can employ to accept.. embrace and be an active part of necessary change.

    Thanks Jonathan!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah for Allison. What a great accomplishment. I wish her the best. My oldest grand daughter will graduate as a full fledged Physical Therapist this month and has just one more 3 month internship to finish up. It has been a long 8 years for her but we are so proud of what she has accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Allison, and to you and Deborah for raising a wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank "You Gary!... I will pass along the congrats to the deserving "Doctor Allison"!


    "You" too ... have a "Grand Reason" to be proud as well!It's what a good life lived is about... living to see the Circle of Life come around fully! Heartiest congrats to "You" and your Grand daughter Gary!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Keith!... Thank "You for your sentiments Keith! Just a note....Allison's Mom is Joan... no worry about the "mistake" Keith. Read the comment I left Joan Sicignano above for the pertinent details... I'm sure you will see why the "mistake "is not worthy of any correction. Thanks for your sentiment. I deeply appreciate our connection Keith... no matter the distance and circumstances!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on this major achievment!
    It takes a lot to see something like this through to completion!
    A toast to both of you! Art Matters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank "You" Bill... for our encouraging comments! "You have it right my Friend! People and Art Matter most!

    I'll pass along your congrats to Allison! Once again ... I ALWAYS appreciate your words of encouragement and your insightful suggestions!

    Good Painting my Friend!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your doctor daughter and to you too, proud daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank "You" Marion for this kind gesture... and recognition! It is a high water mark for Allison's achievement!We are all indeed very proud of "Her"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bruce,
    Wow, Congrats to Allison...You have truly won in the game of life as far as I can see. I couldn't imagine how proud you must be, good for you and your family. You clearly know what is important in life and your heartfelt spirit shines in your words. A thousand blessings to you and yours good man.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank "You" my Friend Todd... for the congrats... which "I" will pass along to Allison.

    "You clearly know what is important in life and your heartfelt spirit shines in your words"...

    "I" believe that this well applies to "You" as well my friend. Though you are just beginning the journey as a Family in the "fullest sense" with Max... the outcome will be similar for "You" and "Yours" as well because we share a very similar world view about why we're here on this earth.

    "I" wish "You" and "Yours" the same one thousand blessings... scattered helpfully along your journey... as it unfolds before "You"!

    Good Painting... "fair winds"... n' good sailin' Matey!

    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete