Thursday, August 15, 2019

August... on my Mind



Fifty years ago today the youth of America sang out in a single, clear and united voice in opposition to the Vietnamese conflict which had claimed the lives of so many of their brothers, sisters and friends. So many of those performers and their music set the future course for music in America and the rest of the world... and did in fact coalesce the Youth in America to bring pressure upon their leaders to end this vicious and senseless conflict.

One performer in particular represented to me the spirit and the power of the singing voice. Still today, her words guide my own personal mantra for conducting my own life. And since Allie's tragic passing it has meant even more. I thank Joan Baez ( and creator) Willie Nelson for this anthem of Hope. Here is the version that Baez shared at Woodstock.

"


I created this `16 x 12 inch canvas "Thank You for the Music!" to honor my dad for his gift of music over his lifetime to me and countless others. It created such a great influence in my life. Ironically... or perhaps not... my Dad's birthday falls on August 16th.



                              Watercolor Tribute to Dad's 100th Birthday... "Keep Smilin'"

 This song by Joan Baez has done the same for me in my own life. I have learned to live and dream one moment at a time... and to feel deeply blessed to be given these gifts.



My Mom brought Faith and an appreciation for family and natural beauty into my life continuously over all of the years that I was blessed to walk with her. Many of my paintings attest to the deep influence her teachings and Faith play in my life. If I am an artist... it is because of their combined gifts to me. I am deeply blessed.


                                       "August on my mind" oil on canvas 24 x 18 inches



                               
"Summer in Transition" - oil on canvas 24 inches x 24 inches



                           " A Demi-tasse Full of Summer" - oil on canvas 16 x 12 inches

The "flower power" that united the 70's Anti War movement  was spearheaded by a single song anthem of unification by the legendary folk trio Peter Paul and Mary. "Where Have All the Flowers Gone." Its hauntingly beautiful melody and lyrics immortalize the moment in time when Young America spoke out... and acted. Some in violent ways... others with refusal to serve or to be told what to be believe. They changed the course of American and World History.


Peter Paul and Mary - "Where have All the Flowers Gone"

August  21st...  my Mom's birthday... and flowers eternally remind me of the Peace... Faith and the blessings my Mom bestowed upon me.

August 10th marked the 70th birthday of my lovely and creative wife Deb. She has brought with her much Joy and support for me and all members of our Sherman family. Her creativity manifests itself in so many ways and mediums. But her artisanship in creating her stained glass magic proves that she is "one cut above"all the rest in that field. Here is a sample of that craftsmanship that validates my feelings about her skills.















These projects are but a few of the glass magic that Deb has produced. Her talents, determination, inspiration and generosity endear her to all and value her her as my friend, kindred spirit and love of my love. Thank you for just being ... "You"... for "Me" and for choosing to share your life with me.

"You are... my Forever and Always."

Happy Birthday Sweet Heart! I am greatly blessed....



6 comments:

  1. Wonderful birthdays in August! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your mother and father and your sweetie, Deb (she is a talented artist!!), and for sharing your talent with us, too. Love the flowers. Happy Birthday to Deb, too, even though it's late :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit and encouragement Rhonda. August has always been a month to celebrate birthdays. Despite the fact that people do indeed die... Love doesn't. That is what I celebrate for my Mom and Dad. Their contributions to my life continue to manifest themselves... for as long as I can "spread the gospel" lol

    Deb continues to be my compass and rudder. She makes my life whole... and worth living! She is my sunshine!

    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated happy birthday to you Deb. I love looking at all of these paintings and the beautiful glass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lisa... Deb was touched by your thoughtful comment and best wishes. She did enjoy a Happy Birthday and has been enjoying being "back in the game" creatively. She absolutely loves our new setting here in Kingston... as do I. Now over to check your site!

    Warmest regards... and Happy Summer... what's remaining
    Bruce and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bruce,

    Those are some very nice floral paintings. I still love that "Summer in Transition" panel.

    It was nice to see Deb's work as well. They are all lovely pieces, and very creative. Wish her a belated Happy Birthday from us.

    All the best,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your visit and encouragement Keith. The "Transition" piece was one of my favorite pieces. Hated to see it leave our hands... but fun to see it fully realized.

    I'll pass along your kind words... and birthday greetings for Deb and her work. She is... "one cut above" most in her stained glass creations.

    Thanks for your continued presence Keith. It means a great deal to me my Friend!

    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete