Sunday, September 3, 2017

Mindfulness... Gratefulness and Responsiveness

My post today embraces lingering feelings and thoughts that emerged within me during of my most recent plein air experience. I returned to the field in search of a quiet retreat from the noisy tourist traffic and constant bus traffic in the village.. and the incessant growl of whining jet skis and motorcraft out on the river.

It required little more than a few words of encouragement from my painting friend Paul Taylor from Rochester, NY to pack up our gear to seek out a site where we could escape the din and enjoy some plein air painting. I suggested a short twenty minute jaunt to the sleepy backwater hamlet of Lyndhurst... a place where I knew there was lots of painting material that would interest us both.

Paul chose a site up on the road which runs across the three span stone bridge spanning the Lyndhurst Creek. Constructed in 1856-7, it is the oldest existing bridge in Ontario and still functions in linking Lyndhurst to the neighbouring communities of Delta and Lansdowne. I set up just below the bridge on the shore of the pond looking westward towards the United Church.

My painting was to become a smallish vertical 10 x 8 inch sketch on panel which began poorly due to my agitated state. I could not get my right hand to "behave" in its usual way. It simply couldn't settle down to business and permit me to draw... as is my usual approach to establishing a beginning.

Rather than continuing to fight against the problem... which I knew would persist, I chose to shift my approach from mapping my beginning... to massing. I built form out of massed colour blocks to shape composition. I then took a walk away from the resulting colour patchwork to gain some space to think... relax and recalibrate before stepping back to the painting to finish.

I decided to add only minimal detail and to survey the whole thoroughly to ensure that I hadn't missed necessary information. I simply looked for the remainder of the session while Paul finished up. I decided to complete the few remaining licks needed to finish... away from the site back at the studio from memory. No camera reference!

Mindfulness... is the act of bringing one's attention to experiences occurring totally in the present moment. The plein air painting approach maximizes the opportunity and the atmosphere most conducive to encourage this state.

Gratefulness... is the combination of many blessings that I realize and appreciate more than ever in my life since Allison's tragic passing. I am grateful for the treasured memories of Yesterdays which remain protected forever in my heart. I am mindfully grateful... for the Today that I have been given to enjoy and share with my friends and family that I love. Finally... I am grateful for the gift of being able to dream and envision a Tomorrow... and hopefully... to be given the time to actualize it.

Responsiveness... The culmination of Yesterday's plein air adventure was this small oil sketch. Though surely imperfect... it mirrors  a small, but significant insight into the journey that I have begun to establish a "new normal". It was executed out of physical necessity, using an alternate response to solving the problem of commencing a painting on location.

Electing to navigate one's daily life and solve daily problems incorporating these principles enhances the opportunities for success... and joy. Are they such hard to achieve objectives????

I wonder...

Good Painting to ALL!!! ... and Rich blessings!



                            " A Lazy August Morning in Lyndhurst" - oil on panel 10 x 8 inches

                                 "A journey of one thousand miles begins with a single step."
                                         - from the Tao Te Ching ascribed to Laozi

6 comments:

  1. "Navigating one's daily life" struck me. I can see us all in our little sailboats on a vast waterway, the wind taking us places we don't always want to go, but our experience bringing us where we need to be. Calm sailing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Rhonda.... Thanks for your visit. Your comment proves a point perfectly. Ideas shared... whether in print or in paint... elicit strong responses and images. A painting can speak volumes... and knows no language barrier.

    Together these ideas can "strike a common chord". I am glad this post did for you. Smooth sailing with you own new collage approach to setting up composition. Very interesting!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete

  3. '...incessant growl of whining jet skis...' they drive me bonkers too! Always rudely interrupting the train of thoughts -Grrrr!!!

    Keep navigating skipper you are doing a sterling job. I think your girl would be very proud. Best wishes for the new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Lisa!... seems that the noise of modernity sprawls into very nook and cranny... including the "wild spaces" that we seek out for peace and solitude!

    Here they are disdainfully referred to by true river folk as "river lice". That pretty welll says it all doesn't it? HA HA!

    I do feel that Allie would be proud of me in my seeing out a "new normal".... and my "taking back of joy". Grief is such a crafty and malicious thief... and constantly changes faces.

    I am sailing... one league at a time!

    Thanks for checking in with your comforting words and presence Lisa. I very much value your thoughts and admire your work. We share a common path I think.

    Good Painting and Sketching!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear your voice Bruce laddie and that you are recording some more of nature's beauty. Wishing you peaceful sketching days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Lass!... We share a common journey beginning from different places. However... don't you get the feeling more and more ... as we "move along" that our destination and purposes for journeying are quite the same???

    I wonder...

    Good Painting. Thanks for stopping by and for adding these comforting words of encouragement.

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards and rich blessings.
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete