Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Commissions Completed... on to Christmas Cards

I finally brought my last of four pre-Christmas commissions to a close. I must admit... that I was happy to see the painting signed... always my final act in the process. That only occurs when I have determined that I have nothing else further to say. One could, of course... continue to add more finicky details... but such slight changes detract rather than add to the overall impressionistic goal. One stroke more or less...matters little to the overall picture.

I painted the canvas around the edges which gives a better look for the actual gift presentation on Christmas day. The client has decided to leave the choice of framing for the piece to his wife afterward... a good decision. That way they can choose it together using their combined sense of tastes and budget. Wooden moldings are very pricey these days and framing style choices have changed dramatically within the past decade.

I will provide the canvas with hanging wire already installed... so that it can be viewed on the wall as soon after Christmas as they would care to hang it. I have suggested a reputable local framer who I know will treat them as fairly and competently as I would. I am happy to be outside of those decisions completely.

Here is the finished version of the commission. I am pleased with the result. Movin' on...

I have two rather large panoramic commissions still remaining... but they are on hold until after the Christmas break. Some minor details still to be discussed and ratified with my London, England client before I launch into the paintings. I am most eager to begin them however... they are more "landscapish" in nature and the client really wants them handled in an impressionistic manner. Suits me!

I have an interesting story to relate with regard to the gathering of reference material for this project. But that's a post for another day.

Stay tuned...



"Final Breath of Autumn Grandeur at Swarbrick" - oil on canvas 24x20 inches
Old River Road, Rockport Ontario

Good Painting... to ALL!

4 comments:

  1. Autumn grandeur indeed, Bruce. This is just phenomenal! I so wish I could see inside this cute cottage type home. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Sherry!.. Grandeur indeed... both the scene and the home itself !

    I have long admired this home as I have passed it by... always believed that some day I would paint it. It truly "spoke" to me. Though there are many more expensive and "luxurious" homes not far from this one... in my own mind... this one is "the creme-de-la-creme"... Simply... classically... beautiful !!

    It has been an honour to have been offered this commission opportunity. I will now "hang around" in the home HA HA!... though I have yet to see it on the inside. Knowing the people on an informal basis... their common tastes as a couple are exquisite.

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting so positively Sherry! Hope that life is treating you better!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce, I think the client should be very pleased with this. The impression of sunlight is beautiful, and I like the 'window' effect of looking through the trees to the house and its surroundings.

    I agree about leaving the framing choice to the client. It can make a big difference to a painting, but people's tastes are so different.

    All the best for Christmas,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Keith!... I hope that the client is as pleased as I am about the final version of the commission. No doubt he will be ... simply because I kept him apprised of the necessary compositional changes that I felt were necessary to arrive at this result which was our combined vision of the painting.

    You again have perfectly described my full intent and thinking in regards to the intended direction and final result. Good eye Sir!

    All the best back to you and your family from Rockport Keith.

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete