Thursday, August 21, 2014

Sweet Hour of Prayer....

"Sweet hour of prayer... sweet hour of prayer
That calls me from a world of care..."

This morning at 5:00 am...  I took my coffee to a chair on the deck overlooking a still darkened river scape... soundless... except for the pleasant drone of cricket choir and an intermittent robin voice here... a cardinal there... and the plaintive cries of several gulls... somewhere on the placid river in front of me. This hour of "prayer" is for me a daily ritual... as necessary and as meditative to my spirit as the practice of going to church is to most practising Christian homes... or to any other religion of the world... no matter how "God" is worshipped. I was taught... from the beginning... how to listen... smell and to see and to interact with  the Natural World with reverence and awe by my Mom.

These first lines of an old hymn were sung many times by my family... and the hymn was a favourite of my Mom. Her Faith and Trust practised while I watched unobserved as a child...forms the cornerstone of my ongoing basis for Faith ... Hope and Trust. Combined with my Dad's reverence for Free Thought and Speech... his "stick-to-it-ive-ness" and his generous spirit, I aspire to conduct my own journey (adding my own upgrades)... in a fashion that "might" serve others... and that "I" might receive the love and respect of my friends and children... even after I have too... passed.

Today is my Mom's birthday. That fact triggered my remembrance of those opening lines to this post. I will add her flowers... "Mums"...  to those I placed for Dad on August 16th at their quiet resting place under the arms of an old white pine at Oakland Cemetery. That act will be followed by yet another few minutes of solitude and sweet moments of prayer. I visit with Deb often. She too shares my love and respect for them... knowing too, that their gifts and blessings to "Me" helped shape and forge the very shared values under which "She" and "I" choose to live our lives together.

Today... they both will be in my thoughts... and my own prayers... offered in the most opulent of cathedrals... Creation itself. Let's call it... "plein air prayer." Perhaps you now might understand... that  my own doxology... my connection to my Father...Creator and God lies within each of my paintings. Each and every one is a hymn... a psalm of praise and gratefulness for the life and the parents I have been blessed with. My heart is my purse... and I carry them... and their precious gift with Me everywhere I go. And like them... I aspire to share them with those I meet... who can understand.

I am deeply blessed!...

Enjoy the richness of Eternal Life and Life together Mom and Dad. I' ll love you BOTH... Forever!

"We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day.
Keep smiling through,
Just like you always do,
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds, far away."

1939 War War II Favourite 
Written by Ross Parker and Hughie Charles
Performed by Vera Lynn

Keep Smilin!... and
Good Painting ... to ALL!


"August... on my mind" - oil on canvas 18x14 inches



Prohibition Days get up. Everyone who knows our family well... says that I look like my Dad. That greatly warms my heart... and makes m smile. Would "Him" too... I think!


Prohibitionist... Exhibitionists... "Ave yer ever bin to sea Matey?" HA HA!!

While the weather was too foul the entire weekend to paint en plein air... I did manage this little cartoonish ditty for the kids play section of the festivities. Deb and I were the first "kids" to have our picture taken... but not the last!






14 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous painting, I say again. That texture is exquisite! Your dad was quite the dapper gent, Bruce...or is that you in the second photo? If so, then I can't say! LOL And yes, I think you look like him too if that is he in the 2nd photo. Love your watercolor fun piece; you two look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Sherry!... Thanks for the visit and comments!

    C'est "Moi"... as Ms Pig would say... in both pictures! Just "Me"... having fun! Isn't thatwhat life should be all about Sherry? Deb encourages that in me... "She" is just a kid... at he[Art]... HA HA!!!

    Have Fun ... and Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writings are as beautiful as your paintings. You are a rare breed I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Diana!.... Thank you for offering these gifts of your own to "Me".

    I have always cherished both "voices" that I have been given... and tried always to share them to encourage those around me. Your kind words this morning encourage me to continue to contribute... out of simple Faith that "what goes around... comes around!

    "You"... as well... "are a rare breed." Believe that and continue to share your own fine work!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bruce, once again a very enjoyable read and of course, photos. Love the painting. It's brilliant. From the texture of the curtain and vase. flowers etc. simply lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    All the best to you and Deb,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Joan!... Thanks for your visit and kind words of support!

    The picture resolution and colour is not as good as I would have liked... but it gives the basic idea... and more importantly the sentiment behind the painting!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each time I come to visit your blog, I enjoy a meditation of sorts. This one is especially lovely. And your painting is just beautiful. Wonderful work as always. And i LOVE that snap of you and your bride. You are such an incredibly warm and giving human being. I am honored to know you.

    and....Thank you, thank you thank you for your incredible comments and words of support my friend! My apologies for taking so long to say so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Friend Suzanne!... It is indeed uplifting to encounter "significent others"... who journey in parallel to one's own life. It is with their presence and understanding that one achieves a level of peace and grace which allows one to continue further... knowing that they are not alone... even during life's darkest and most challenging moments.

    I too... find grace and meditational strength in your words and your skillfully crafted works art. I am indeed honoured to know you as well. There is strength even in the smallest numbers... where Trust and Truth reside... unconditionally!

    Good Painting!
    I look forward to further chats and sharings!

    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. A truely beautiful and peaceful post about faith love and family. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ihere Caroline!... Have missed you on line!

    Thank you for your gracious ciomments about the post. I feel that we share very common values regarding these important subjects.

    Good Painting to you!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Bruce.....I, too, love the quite predawn hours for staying in touch with God. The bird calls are like proof of His presence.
    Love the fun cartooney shot of yourself and Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good evening Dean!.... "When in doubt... look up!".... My Mom's words.... What a better reason to look up than to see His sun rise up in all of its glory... heralded by the bird choir accompaniment.... "How sweet it is!"

    Thanks for dropping by and adding your encouraging words!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  13. my own 'mama' is very much on my mind as the first anniversary of her passing approaches.
    One of the last days that I was at her house, sorting and cleaning before the sale, I saw, first, 6 deer in her back yard. Never have I seen so many. The next day after a shower the sun came out and when I walked out onto the deck, to the right was a rainbow arcing up into the brightest cloud and as I turned to go in to grab my camera, a hummingbird flew right in front of me and up over the roof of the breezeway.
    Needless to say, I knew she was there and it filled me with delight.
    As I sit in my backyard this summer a little hummingbird has been visiting and even coming close to me as I deadhead flowers. 'She' who I call "Anna" after my mum, hangs in the air as though she is asking me to look at her. The dragonfly is also frequently present, lighting on top of the lilac bushes simultaneously as I think about my mama. All very indicative of her spirit living on. The last thing I said to her was, "Mama, please visit me in my dreams and let me know you are with me." and she has.
    I love your post and and I love the photo of you and Deb as sailors :D
    Thanks Bruce, for your wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Friend Mary... "We" ... who aregreatly blessed to have had Mamas who loved... protected... nurtured... guided us and inspired us throughout our entire lives are blessed with their Presence/ Presents... both work... even after they have left us physically.

    When they taught us to truly "see" the world of our Creator in its fullest magnicence... then we can reach beyond what others see... clear to Paradise. In every flower and creaturewe will ever see... they shall remain... ever with us.

    "We" are deeply blessed Mary...

    I thank you for sharing these deeply personal thoughts here on my blog. They do honour to my own efforts to reveal and share Truth with others who might.... understand.

    Rich blessings of Health and Peace Mary!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards.... and a hug!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete